News & Messages

A message from the interim chancellor: Welcome to Spring Semester 2024

In a campus email, Interim Chancellor Lee H. Roberts expressed his excitement to join the University and wished Tar Heels a brilliant start to the new year.

Old Well on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill.
(Jon Gardiner/UNC-Chapel HIll)

Dear Carolina Community,

Welcome back! It’s the start of a new year, a new semester and a new chapter for Carolina.

I’m excited to be joining all of you here at the nation’s finest public university, officially becoming a Tar Heel as I start my first day as interim chancellor. It’s been wonderful to meet so many of you over the past few weeks, and it’s been fun being on campus as the students return.

I made the decision to come to North Carolina many years ago because I believe the future belongs to this state — a place that’s growing, thriving and welcoming newcomers from across the world while holding onto its best traditions. Carolina is at the heart of that story, welcoming talented students from every walk of life and readying them for the challenges ahead.

Thank you indeed to Chancellor Guskiewicz and to everyone else who has given me such a warm welcome.

Please say hello when you see me on campus, at the men’s basketball game versus Syracuse tomorrow, the women’s game versus Virginia on Sunday, in the dining hall next week or at a Carolina Performing Arts show later this month.

Tell me what you love about this place and what you want to make better. Like all of you, I’m here to learn, contribute and do my best to leave this University stronger than when I arrived.

Wishing you a brilliant start to 2024. GO HEELS!

Lee H. Roberts
Interim Chancellor