News & Messages

Greetings from Chancellor Carol Folt

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff:

I just spent my first two days at Carolina as your new chancellor, and everywhere I go I can sense the optimism and belief in our University’s promising future.

I recorded a video message for the campus community to introduce myself and to share some thoughts about the weeks ahead. I hope you will take a few minutes to watch; the video is posted below.

There is something special about America’s great public universities. They are the best investment in our nation’s future. They educate the majority of college graduates. Their great faculties produce the
research and ideas that will improve lives, open doors, and be a force for good in the world.

The passion for learning and creating new knowledge, the special commitment to excellence paired with access and opportunity for students of North Carolina, and the strength to innovate for every generation
runs deep on this campus. We are not simply teaching students what we already know; we are giving them the tools to create what will be.

I want to learn from all of you. I would like you to tell me two things you love most about Carolina and two things you want to be even stronger. Send your responses to WelcomeCarol@unc.edu. While I cannot respond to every email, I promise to read them all.

Thank you for your dedication to our extraordinary University. I am deeply honored to be your chancellor.

Sincerely,

Carol L. Folt
Chancellor