News & Messages

A message from the chancellor: Naming the search committee for the next dean

Buildings on campus

Dear Kenan-Flagler faculty, staff and students:

I am pleased to share that we have appointed a search committee to help identify the next dean at Kenan-Flagler. I have full confidence that through their hard work over the next few months, we will find the best leader to begin work in July. In the coming weeks, there will be opportunities for you to provide input on the attributes you would like to see in a new dean, and I hope you will share your ideas.

The search committee is co-chaired by Lissa Broome, Burton Craige Distinguished Professor, School of Law and Director, Center for Banking and Finance, and Jack Evans, Phillip Hettleman Professor Emeritus, Kenan-Flagler Business School. Provost Clemens and I wanted a diverse committee to include Kenan-Flagler faculty, staff, students and alumni. We have accomplished that goal with this committee, and I am confident in their ability to help us find your next leader.

Kenan-Flagler has a lot to be proud of this year, including the groundbreaking of the Steven D. Bell Hall, which will allow us to increase enrollment in the Undergraduate Business Program by 50%. We launched the Charlotte Executive MBA program to expand access to students in our western counties. This fall, the school welcomed the return of in-person global experiences, ensuring students can gain skills and insights across cultures. And we celebrated our graduating students in the 2022 MBA@UNC, MAC, Evening Executive MBA and Weekend Executive MBA programs in October. I want to thank the Kenan-Flagler faculty, staff and students for contributing to these and other recent successes.

Finally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t also highlight the incredible campaign success the school accomplished by exceeding its goal well in advance of the Dec. 31 campaign close. Many thanks to Shontel Grumhaus and her development team, who raised $425 million and engaged over 19,000 donors. Our alumni and donors believe in you! Our new dean will join a strong and vibrant community at Kenan-Flagler.

I’m grateful to everyone who is devoting their time to serve on the search committee, and I also want to thank Interim Dean Jennifer Conrad for the steady leadership she continues to provide until a permanent leader begins next year.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Guskiewicz Chancellor